Thursday, April 4, 2013

Day Four Assessment:  Grizzly Peak, Ann Arbor

Neil’s review-

I’ll put my name on this review because I have some bias about Grizzly Peak.  You should probably read Kevin’s review if you want to know about Grizzly Peak.

But I have a good reason for being biased.  They objectively have the best Pale Ale in the world and they have the best beer ever made - Victor’s Gold.  Your search is over.

More importantly, I had my first real beer with my dad here and have some good memories here.  My dad and I once biked to Grizzly Peak from Saline, had a beer, and then rode our bikes home with a growler of the IPA in our backpack... which reminds me,

...(dream vapors descending... flashing back to 1991... keep it together...we’re coming apart!... stay with me!)...


In Europe, the medieval pilgrimage to the tomb of St. James has be re-established.  I’d like to say that this octave of beer is re-establishing an ancient (early 1990s) pilgrimage that I shared with my dad...
A pilgrimage to beer is not something I’m unfamiliar with.  As many of you know, in the Bible Belt, we have what are called Dry Counties and Wet Counties.  We lived in the dry county of Boyle County, Kentucky and had to make a day long caravan mission across bogs, misty mountains, and over troll inhabited bridges just for my dad to get some brewskis (it was probably a half hour drive down the interstate but that’s what it seemed like to me as a 5 year old).  This was the best argument the Atzinger family had against Baptist Fundamentalism.  Why, in the name of all things holy, would any God fearing church make it so hard to get a little sudzy refreshment?  But when the Church is persecuted, she thrives...
Little did those Baptists know that they were setting the scene for some good, Catholic father/son bonding time.  This drive to the liquor store was my opportunity to ask my father about the mysteries of life.  All my questions were answered by this mustachioed sage.  I remember talking about the saints, about prayer, about Daniel Boone and about everything else a boy needs to know.  I grew up on those trips.  After eating the beef jerky he would buy my brother and I at the store, we’d be thirsty.  So on a drive back to Danville from the liquor store, that’s when we had our first taste of beer. ...Although mysteriously...not while we were in the car, because that’s illegal (look what you did Baptists!).


So, Grizzly Peak - go there if you want good fatherly memories.

Join us tomorrow at Liberty Street in Plymouth for the next stop on Il Cammino de Beer and read Kevin’s review if you want real information.

Keep up the excellent reviews!  Awards will be given at the end of the week for different review categories =



Ann Marie on Fuggly - “Bonfire. I don’t want to brush my teeth tonight.” (best review nominee)

Austin on Amarillo Shamrock - “Ethereal, evanescence. As easy to breath as to drink.”

Anonymous on Sheerwater IPA - “Warm and earthy - like a vegetable garden on a hot summer day.” (Nominee for The Review You Can Taste)

Cora on Bear Paw Porter - “This beer has multiple flavors, 4 to be exact.  It first enters your mouth as a deep forest and transitions into lightly charred oak with a hint of natural cocoa and ends with the crisp finish of a lumberjack axe.” (Best Review Nominee)

Visual of Beer Paw by Matt - “Looks like the mighty grizzly’s pelt after a short morning dip in the fresh spring river of northern Alaska.”


Kevin on EOB - "Fresh-cut dandelions floating in a pool of cool apple juice."

Thad on Fuggly Oak Porter - “As opaque in taste as it is in appearance.  Like a blanket of pure cocoa and coffee grounds covering your tongue with warmth.”

Ruth on Pale Ale - “Like biting into an orange without peeling it first.”

Mary Rzepka on Shamrock Seasonal - “I think of green frosting as I swallow this beer, and swedish fish.”

Maria on Irish Stout - “Guinness’ sassy older sister.”

Kevin on Steelhead Red - "Sweet strawberries dipped in motor oil."

Thad on EOB - “A beer fit for a goat:  Sweet to grassy.”

Austin on Bear Paw Porter - “Toasted Marrow.”

Anonymous on Pale Ale - “Apple with an orange peel.”

Anonymous on Victor’s Gold - “I’m bored.”

Kula on Pale Ale - “Tastes like sand hitting a coconut tree’s branches on a beach in Mexico.”

Neil on Victor’s Gold - “This is objectively the best beer in existence.”

Tom on Steelhead Red - “Good... in a forgettable way. Like a good bowel movement.” (Nominee For Most Brow Furrowing Review)



Kevin’s Brain Nuggets:

While I will say nothing that would detract from Neil’s heartwarming review, I will say that it is certainly a uniquely personal experience - one I hope we all experience in some way at some point in our lives.   As for myself, I have no significant attachment to Grizzly Peak.   I would like to say that leaves me unbiased but that would not be accurate.   I see Grizzly Peak as a microbrewery that lost it’s identity.  What it seems to be now is a large restaurant that happens to brew their own beer in the back somewhere.  That’s not to say the beer isn’t good or memorable (see the reviews above) or that the food isn’t palatable.  To me, it just lacks something in it’s character as a microbrewery.

As for the overall experience, even though we were tucked away in our own little corner exiled from the rest of society like a happy little band of lepers, it made for a pleasant atmosphere to mix & mingle in lively conversation.  We had a fairly decent sized group that trickled in and out over the course of the evening with several new faces to add variety to the reviews of brews.  As for the beer itself, what they brew at Grizzly Peak they brew well.   I don’t think anyone voiced any disappointment over anything they chose.

So, whether lost in a dream where Victors Gold tastes good or lucidly imbibing the BM of beers, Grizzly Peak will provide plentiful enjoyment of both food and drink for a father and his son, a gathering of good friends, or nearly any audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment