Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Day Three Assessment - Original Gravity Brewing Company, Milan

This brewery is out of the way (“nobody knows about us,” OG Bartender) but don’t you dare take the US-23 short cut.  I would drive down Saline-Milan Road at sunset every day for that scenery (I’ll buy you a beer tomorrow if you can find the hidden, antique Saline Mill that’s just off that road, even with a map).  The OG brewery at the end of the trail would make it worth it either way.  You’d be a hypocrite to call yourself a beermeister in Washtenaw County if you had not been to Original Gravity in Milan.
It’s a beer-garden layout like Wolverine and Corner Breweries, but Original Gravity is very different in atmosphere.  It’s just... it’s just Milan.  I arrived late after circling the town 3 times to find the place (which only took 10 minutes).  I figured would I just drive into town and see it on the first corner.  As I entered OG, I walked past guys wearing hooded duck jackets and muddy boots, youngsters with their dads, and a family reunion meeting together for a pizza party (ordered in).  I appreciated how the bartenders act like they have time for you, even though it was not uncrowded.  It’s homey.  It’s just... Milan.
That’s not to say these beers are “homey” in quality.  They would find a home on Liberty Street, Ann Arbor, or Lincoln Ave, Fort Collins for that matter.  These beers don’t have the skunkiness that I’ve experienced in most small batch microbrews.  They’re drinkable.
Get out of your bubble Ann Arbor and go get some Southpaw IPA at Original Gravity... but wait till next week because you need to come to Grizzly Peak tomorrow.

Sal on Primordial Porter - “Without words I’d say, ‘mmmMMMmmmMmmgrgrgrlmmm.’”

Neil on Southpaw IPA - “Jim Leyland spitting sunflower seeds covered in caramel glaze.”

     …. on 2-Wheeler Witbier - “cryogenically frozen sundried apricots.”

     …. on Old Man E.S.P - “I forgot I was drinking it. Bland.”

Kevin on County Street Amber – “Like drinking cold coffee with sweet cream, like those Nips candies.”

     …. And on Lumpy Oatmeal Stout – “like liquid tobacco”

Kevin’s Summary –

As far as an overall assessment of OG, I wholeheartedly agree with Neil that this place is a “diamond in the rough.”  I was totally surprised that this place has existed, almost completely unnoticed, for 5 years.  A part of me wants it to stay that way.  I expect that it will, given that it’s off the beaten path to the Ann Arbor crowd.  That being said, I would say the beers (only seven on tap) are in their sophomore years.  First impressions were quite good but the tastes seemed to fade into obscurity as we continued to sample them.  I think this place has great potential to develop into a noteworthy microbrewery.  Original Gravity is a welcome and unpretentious place for relaxation and conversation – even if that conversation devolves into heated political debate (Tony & Sal) – which is wonderful since it shows that a place like this is a warm and inviting atmosphere for friends to come together to share their faith, lives, and stories over a few pints of good quality beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment